A Mechanical Process Engineer must have a strong design background and a desire to use creativity to
design systems that enhance the productivity, quality, and working environment of industrial production
facilities. They are responsible for the front-end conceptual design phase, estimating, leading a design
team through the production design process, and procurement for construction projects. A Mechanical
Process Engineer is very technical and understands industrial process flows, equipment, and design
methodology required to develop Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), P&ID’s, process piping/pumping
systems, exchangers, process equipment, tank systems, and general arrangement equipment layout
drawings. They are responsible for developing specs for mechanical/industrial process equipment
including pumps, valves, piping, supports, insulation, and storage/process vessels. The Mechanical
Process Engineer must consider the overall safety, budget, schedule, and quality of large, complex
industrial construction projects from project inception through project completion. They will coordinate
with the project manager to manage all phases of the engineering process with both in-house and
external design resources. A Mechanical Process Engineer must own and adhere to the design schedule
Consider the safety of Keen Project Solution construction personnel, the customer, operators,
subcontractors, and general public when designing any project as outlined by the company,
OSHA, NFPA, FMSA, ASME, API, ASHRAE, ACGIH, building code, and other applicable
regulatory/performance requirements for all work processes.
• Research and ensure incorporation of applicable federal, state, municipal codes, permits, and
standards relying upon proper expertise and resources internally and externally.
• Perform jobsite observations and report deficiencies, non-conformance, safety issues, quality
control issues, and opportunities for improvement to the project manager on an assigned
• Comply with risk management programs applicable to assigned projects including contracts,
insurance, bonding, and any special owner or regulatory requirements. Identify areas of risk,
investigate, and propose solutions.
Coordinate the efforts of all engineering parties involved in the project, which include the
architects, consultants, contractors, and direct hired persons.
• Demonstrate ability to effectively establish and contribute to internal and external teams while
leading outside design management and in-house design.
• Lead Owner Design Coordination Meetings. Facilitate open communication and collaboration
with owner, designers, and trade partners to build a team atmosphere, resolve conflicts early,
and track progress. Ensure actions are logged. Utilize on-line collaboration tools and web
meetings to efficiently coordinate and conduct business.
• Build teams to effectively manage projects, resolve design issues, and answer questions and
solve problems for production and to make sure that final plans are accurate.
• Provide basic support for all other departments as needed, along with other assigned duties
Properly prepare and execute design services to meet customers’ expectations for clarity,
timeliness, quality, completeness, and efficiency.
• Communicate effectively to ensure all team members and customers are well informed
throughout design process, includes effective use of face-to-face meetings, web and phone
conferences, collaborative software, design meetings, and events, as well as other common
channels of communication.
• Maintain a Critical Path Schedule including establish and reach owner milestones. Organize
architectural, design, and engineering resources, coordinate procurement, assign contracts, and
oversee the use of owner and company resources.
• Assist in establishing and maintaining project budget. Optimize utilization of project resources
while ensuring procurement at the most cost-effective terms in line with contract documents
and defined budgets. Assist in developing cost estimates at varying stages of project.
• Coordinate buyout including specification, selection, and contracting of vendors, suppliers, and
technicians. Prepare contracts, negotiate revisions, changes, and additions to contractual
agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers, and trade contractors in a timely
fashion according to agreed payment terms.
• Complete the procurement of the equipment with installation drawings which reflect the site
layout, specifications, safety measures, schematic design, and the production process.
• Analyze equipment and process with the intent of achieving continuous improvement and
ensure process performance requirements are met and sustained.
• Other responsibilities may include, but are not limited to scope development, specification and
technical writing, conceptual design, design management, and estimating.
Participate in on-going business development and continued customer service through
professional representation of Keen Project Solutions within the industry and through serving
customers, design partners, suppliers, and industry contacts.
• Work closely with other project partners, professionals such as scientists, and other engineers
on development and research projects.
• Strategically work with our project partners to pre-plan, identify, eliminate constraints, and
manage risk on all stages of the project.
• Integrate new technology or environmentally friendly practices into existing processes.
• Implement process designs, creating prototypes, testing, making necessary modifications where
required that are cost effective, keeping with a given budget, and commissioning the process.
• Critique designs for safety, manufacturability, failure modes, customer usage, and functionality.
• Analyze problems through data analysis, field returns and experimentation to create more
robust designs to reduce service incidence rates.
Bachelor’s degree in a related science field such as Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering
preferred. Combined experience and industry educational certifications to demonstrate
• Minimum of 5 years of experience.
• Certification or completion in Professional Engineer License (P.E.), Fundamentals of Engineering
(FE), Engineer in Training (EIT), and/or Lean Qualifications or willing to obtain.
• Working knowledge of basic computer programs like Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, and online collaboration tools. Proficient in Autodesk/Plant Design Suite products like Revit and
AutoCAD is desired, with knowledge Inventor, Navisworks, etc., beneficial.
Travel up to 25% or as needed, by air and ground. Benefits and additional Company Information located
on our career section of our website.
General Education and Qualification, Demands, and Keen Philosophy we require in all candidates and employees can be found on website. You will find information about Company Benefits, Military Hiring, Apprentice and Internship opportunities, and most importantly Safety Expectations. www.keenprojectsolutions.com/careers
Keen Project Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer Keen Project Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Keen Project Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Keen Project Solutions is proud to offer a drug free workplace. All applicants are required to a pre-employment drug screen.